Keeping your household tidy is very important for living a healthy life. That’s why vacuum cleaners become an essential part of our lives. But even with a vacuum cleaner, cleaning floors is a tiresome work. You need to operate the vacuum manually (except for robot vacuum cleaner).
We often forget about the most vulnerable among us – the elderly. Usually, people in their 60s are considered senior citizens.
As people grow old, they slowly lose agility and physical strength. People also develop health conditions as they age. So, it is often tough for them to do daily chores on their own, such as cleaning houses.
But many people in the modern world tend to live alone. And the number is growing day by day. So it’s easy to figure out that older people need user-friendly vacuum cleaners now more than ever.
For this reason, we have taken the responsibility to help the elderly to find the best vacuum cleaners.
In this article, you will find different lightweight vacuum cleaners and also learn about their advantages and disadvantages. We also have drawn a framework to find the perfect solution.
So, let’s start the journey!
- Features to Consider When Buying a Vacuum Cleaner for Seniors
- Best Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner for Elderly
- 1. Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Corded Bagless Vacuum for Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning
- 2. Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum for Carpet and Hard Floor
- 3. Shark Rotator Professional Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum for Carpet and Hard Floor
- 4. Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS Commercial Upright Vacuum Cleaner XL
- 5. Shark Rocket DuoClean Ultra-Light Corded (Non-Cordless) Bagless Carpet and Hard Floor
- Best Budget Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner for Elderly
- Importance of Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner for Old People
Features to Consider When Buying a Vacuum Cleaner for Seniors
When you are planning to buy a vacuum cleaner for the elderly, you need to consider many crucial factors. Regular heavy vacuum cleaners are not suitable for them. Seniors need something that is easy to use and not hazardous to their health.
Keeping that in mind, we have figured out some important factors for you. Let’s take a look at them –
- Weight: A few people have a strong physic in their 60s, but that is not the case for majority of them. Scientifically, older people are advised to not carry heavy objects. So vacuum cleaners weighing more than 20 pounds should be out of consideration. Try to buy a lightweight vacuum cleaner that weighs not more than 15 pounds.
- Suction Power: Lightweight vacuum cleaners can be powerful too. There are many lightweight vacuum cleaners that have a strong suction power. It’s convenient for older people if they can complete the job with minimum push and pull.
- Maneuverability: Like we said, the elderly need to stretch as minimum as possible. For this reason, your vacuum cleaner should be flexible. Swivel steering, rotary head – these things provide a vacuum cleaner with great maneuverability.
- Filtration System: A good filtration system prevents dust particles from escaping into the environment. It’s an important factor especially for the seniors as they are more prone to having respiratory diseases.
- Floor Type: This is an essential point everyone should consider. Not all vacuum cleaners are suitable for every floor type. You need to read the specifics carefully before making any decision.
Best Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner for Elderly
In this article, we will discuss some of the best lightweight vacuum cleaners for seniors. This list comprises of many popular brands. These vacuum cleaners come with different sophisticated features to help seniors do chores on their own.
1. Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Corded Bagless Vacuum for Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning
This vacuum cleaner is the extremely lightweight vacuums which weigh just about 8 pounds. It is basically a stick vacuum, and you can use it for both carpet and hardwood cleaning. This vacuum cleaner will come in handy for people who live alone or like to do their chores comfortably.
Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Corded Bagless Vacuum (HV302) has a sleek and eye-soothing design. But people love it because it comes with many easy-to-handle options. You can easily convert this lightweight vacuum cleaner into a handheld vac. It’s a great feature for cleaning both floor and ceiling too.
This model (HV302) has fingertip control that provides you with 2-speed settings. You can instantly switch from hard floor to carpet mode with it.
It also has dual storage options. It means that you can keep the hand vacuum at the bottom of the wand or you can wall-mount it.
This vacuum cleaner also comes with Home & Car Detail Kit. These are micro tools that you can use to clean up frustrating hard-to-reach spaces. It also features swivel steering technology. So overall, it grants you great flexibility in your work.
- Ultra-light vacuum cleaner. Can be converted into a portable handheld vacuum.
- Dual storage option.
- Great option for cleaning cars.
- Makes noises while operating.
Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum (NV352) is one of the most complete vacuum cleaners in the market. It’s very lightweight and portable, weighing only 12.5 lbs. But it has a great suction power as well. So it is often considered a suitable option for the elders.
The first feature that attracts us is its “Lift-away” technology. Its canister is detachable. So you can effortlessly pick it up to clean ceilings or upholstery. You can use it to clean hard-to-reach areas as well.
This vacuum cleaner uses HEPA filter along with Anti-allergen Complete Seal Technology. That means when you’re vacuuming; it makes sure that the dust trapped inside doesn’t get out in the air. So your home stays clean. It’s a life-saving feature for seniors as they are vulnerable.
This vacuum cleaner works like a charm for both hardwood and carpet cleaning. NV352 comes with a 1200 watt powerful motor that has powerful suction. You can use brushroll shutoff system to switch suction speed whenever you want. This brushroll also works excellent on thick pile carpet.
It has a 1.1 quarts dust capacity. So you can clean your whole apartment in one go. You won’t have to stop in the middle to clean up the vacuum.
- Very easy to push or pull the vacuum
- Swivel steering gives excellent control
- Portable and versatile
- Features a suction release system
- No LED light
3. Shark Rotator Professional Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum for Carpet and Hard Floor
This one is an upright bagless vacuum cleaner. It’s an exceptional vacuum and popular among customers, and it has a dimension of 45.7 x 12.1 x 12.2 inches and weighs 15.5 pounds. It also comes with additional tools like 12″ crevice tool, dusting brush and a wide upholstery tool. For some special features and unique technology makes it more user friendly.
When it comes to cleaning performance, Shark Rotator does a great job for both floor and carpet. Its powerful motorized brush is capable of vacuuming deep pile rug. And when you need to clean the hard floor, you can simply shut off the brushroll.
It is a “Lift-away” model and also very lightweight. It means you can carry it in one hand and clean stairs and ceilings you do not need to carry the whole vacuum everywhere.
Shark Rotator Professional Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum (NV501) operates using Rotator technology which is equipped with a swivel steering. It gives you maximum maneuverability needed. It’s also beneficial for deep carpet cleaning.
For dust cleaning, NV501 uses Anti-allergy Seal. It’s a HEPA filter that can capture particles as small as 0.3 microns.
Another useful attribute this vacuum provides is LED headlights. The light is placed on the vacuum’s nozzle. Now, it may not seem important, but it comes in handy for finding out debris hidden in the corner.
- Features an extra-large dust cup (1.3 quarts dust capacity).
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Easy to empty dust cup
- Not great at picking up large debris likes cheerios.
4. Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS Commercial Upright Vacuum Cleaner XL
Although it’s called a commercial upright vacuum cleaner, it is very suitable for the elderly because of its easy-to-use nature. It measures in 6 x 13 x 35 inches and weighs only 9 lbs. Since it’s so lightweight, anyone can push and carry it. You can use it to clean cabinets, under desks, baseboards and even furniture.
The main advantage of this vacuum is it comes with a 12-inch-wide cleaning path. It’s useful for cleaning low pile carpets. Its low profile design also allows you to reach tight corners easily.
The most useful of all is its widely popular helping hand handle. There is an on/off switch placed on the handgrip. So, there is no need for bending or twisting of the wrist. That’s why; it has been put on our list.
Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS has an impressive suction power too. Its brushroll has double helix brushes that can operate at 65000 RPM. On top of that, it has side edge brushes for cleaning corners.
This model uses a very special technology called “Microsweep Technology”. It will help you to switch from bare floor to rug/carpet without making any changes in settings. Its innovative Non-marring bumper prevents any damage from happening to your furniture or walls.
- It’s super-efficient. You can clean whole house in a very short time using this vacuum cleaner.
- 35 feet cord.
- No loss of suction.
- A very durable product.
- No swivel steering.
- Not great at cleaning ceilings.
5. Shark Rocket DuoClean Ultra-Light Corded (Non-Cordless) Bagless Carpet and Hard Floor
When it comes to impressing, Shark always seems to find a way. Shark Rocket DuoClean (HV382) is perhaps their best stick vacuum to date. It has so many jaw-dropping features that it’s hard to not be in love with it. This Ultra-Light Corded vacuum cleaner works great on both bare floor and carpet. It weighs only 9.9 lbs. But you can convert it into a 4.5 lbs handheld vacuum if you want because the handheld vacuum is detachable. Let’s take a look at some of its amazing features.
HV382’s main attribute is its DuoClean technology. That means it is a dual brushroll system which integrates soft brushroll and bristle brush for both carpet and hard floor cleaning. This technology provides Triple Particle Cleaning for your house. You can clean large, small and stuck-on dirt using this vacuum cleaner.
HV382 also comes with a Mini Motorized Brush. It’s actually helpful for removing pet hair from the furniture.
It features powerful LED lights both on the nozzle and handheld vacuum, which makes it easier to clean dark spaces.
Lastly, this vacuum cleaner includes several useful accessories such as Pet Multi-Tool, Motorized Floor Nozzle, Wand, Onboard Storage Clip, Wall mount and 12″ Crevice Tool.
- 30 feet long power cord.
- Portable and versatile.
- Great for deep carpet and pet hair cleaning.
- Offers brushroll garage for easy access to brushroll
- Comes with a wide range of tools
- This vacuum cleaner is a bit loud
Best Budget Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner for Elderly
Not everybody needs a vacuum cleaner with bombastic features. Those vacuums are normally expensive considering they offer premium qualities. So, we have also listed some budget friendly options in this article. These models are simple and quite inexpensive. They work great as well.
1. Eureka PowerSpeed Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Eureka PowerSpeed is a powerful and reasonably priced upright vacuum cleaner. With this, you can get all the necessary features in a single vacuum without exceeding your budget. Its dimension is 13.4 x 14 x 44.5 inches and weighs just about 10 pounds. It is very popular among the buyers for its energy efficiency, comfort and affordability.
There are tons of reasons for you to buy it. But Eureka PowerSpeed’s best advantage is its design. It’s a compact device that operates on Runs on 120V, 960W, 8A. Its motor brushroll has a 12.6” wide nozzle. So, you will get a powerful suction from it.
The newest addition to this model is its extra-large dust capacity. The dustbin can contain 4.1 liters of dirt. That’s enough for covering your whole house.
Eureka PowerSpeed includes lots of useful tool for efficient cleanings such as 7-inch-long crevice tool, dusting brush, upholstery tool and a quick-release handle.
This model provides a special 5-step height adjustment system. There’s a switch in the vacuum that lets you set the cleaning head for the places you want to clean. That way, you can efficiently clean low pile or deep pile rug, plush, hard floor and other surfaces. Its smooth wheel makes sure that the hard floor doesn’t get any scratch from cleaning.
- Easy to assemble the vacuum cleaner.
- Extra-large dust cup.
- Additional tools are always on-board.
- Washable filters.
- No way to control suction. To amend that, Eureka PowerSpeed provides the option for set the cleaning head height.
- Makes heavy noise.
2. Bissell Zing Canister, 2156A Vacuum, Green Bagless
This vacuum cleaner is another budget-friendly option you will like. Bissell has been manufacturing electronic home appliances for more than 140 years.
Their new addition “Bissell Zing Canister, 2156A Vacuum” is just a proof of their expertise and recognition. It is a very lightweight, canister vacuum cleaner. The senior citizens will find it very easy to use.
Bissel Zing (2156A) weighs only 8 lbs. This lightweight vacuum has a dust capacity of 2 liters. It’s a bagless vacuum cleaner. So it is easy to empty the dust cup by opening the bottom-tank. It also comes with a 15-feet long power cord and useful accessories like crevice tool, dusting brush and extension wand.
It has a very powerful suction considering its low price, and it also features cyclonic technology. The motor captures the dirt and debris in a cyclonic motion. Its multi-surface cleaning option helps you switch from cleaning the hard floor to carpet instantly.
Bissel Zing uses 2 filters for vacuuming – DIRT cup filters and Post Motor Filters. Both are washable.
On a special note, this spectacular vacuum cleaner is portable as well. Its integrated carrying handle along with swivel steering lets you carry it everywhere. The wheels of this vacuum are oversized. So, it will be really convenient for older people to pull it.
- Very simple controls. Great for people who don’t like complicated features.
- Power cord can automatically rewind.
- Easy-to-empty dust cup.
- One of the cheapest options.
- Power cord length is comparatively shorter.
3. Bissell Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Bissel has another model that you may want to check out. Their Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner is a state-of-the-art vacuum cleaner. It has so many amazing features that it made it to the best-selling upright vacuum cleaner on Amazon. And most importantly, it’s a budget-friendly option.
Bissell CleanView weighs about 15.4 lbs. It has a wide 13.5 Inch Cleaning Path. With a decent dust cup capacity of 2 liters, this vacuum cleaner is suitable for regular household cleaning. Its 25 feet long power cord along with lightweight design, makes it easy to carry from one room to another.
CleanView 1831 has excellent suction power. Its Multi-Cyclonic Suction System is so powerful that it’s capable of picking up any dirt.
This vacuum cleaner features a proven One Pass Technology. Its innovative brush design makes sure that you just need a single pass to clean any surface. It provides an advantage for older people because they’ll require a minimum push to clean their houses.
Its filtration system seemed impressive to us because its multi-level filtration system will keep your household air clean. The filters are washable and reusable too.
CleanView provides additional tools with the vacuum cleaner for enhanced performance. These tools include a dusting brush, crevice tool, and Turbo brush tool. All of the tools are essential for cleaning upholstery, ceilings and stairs.
- So it’s easy to empty the dust cup.
- Lightweight and easy to push.
- Easy to assemble.
- Control button is not placed in a convenient manner.
- The hose is not flexible.
Importance of Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner for Old People
Older people cannot do heavy works like cleaning or lifting heavy things. So, it’s pretty normal that heavy-duty vacuum cleaners are not for the elderly. That’s why; the best option for any senior is to acquire a lightweight vacuum cleaner. Lightweight vacuums can be portable and easy to maneuver. You require minimal stretching and wrist-twisting to operate a lightweight vacuum cleaner.
The models discussed in this article are all lightweight vacuum cleaner. Some of them are ultra-lightweight, meaning an elderly can easily lift them.
Seniors have a hard time finding a good product for them, specially a user-friendly vacuum cleaner. A lot of people think that heavy vacuums are suitable for cleaning, but that’s not the case for the models mentioned here. They all provide basic and essential features of senior needs.
But always remember, the purpose of buying a vacuum cleaner is to keep your house clean. So, you need to fulfil this condition first. Your vacuum cleaner must be powerful enough to clean your whole house.
I hope this article will help you make a better purchasing decision. If you have any queries, feel free to contact me!