Nobody thinks of where their hot water is coming from, as long as they have a water heater. And if you live in a really cold place or thinking of moving somewhere like Alaska, then having a water heater is a must. But buying a water heater is no easy task. And if you buy one that doesn’t meet your requirements, then it can be pretty devastating.
Water heaters come in different forms. But which one is the best water heater for you? To alleviate your burden, we have taken the responsibility of finding out some of the best water heaters for you.
Table of Content
- The Six Best Gas Water Heater [Comparison Table]
- Best Gas Water Heater 40 Gallon
- Best 50 Gallon Gas Water Heater
- Best Gas Water Heater 75 Gallon
- Best 100 Gallon Gas Water Heater
- How Does a Gas Water Heater Work?
- Gas VS Electric Water Heater [Pros & Cons]
- Features to Consider before Purchase [Buyer’s Guide]
- Wrapping it up
The Six Best Gas Water Heater [Comparison Table]
Here, we will discuss about some of the best gas water heaters in the market right now. There were numerous candidates to choose from, but these top-notch heaters caught our eyes because of their unique designs, features and affordability.
We also categorized them based on their tank size. Let’s have a look at them!
Best Gas Water Heater 40 Gallon
40 gallon water heaters are suitable for smaller households that consist of 3-4 people. We have picked 2 options for you to consider from.
1. A.O. Smith GCR-40 ProMax Plus High Efficiency Gas Water Heater
Another great product from the ProMax family is their GCR-40 model. This model offers a 40 gallon tank, which makes it an ideal gas water heater for residential use. This is a standard and reliable model as it meets all the basic criteria of National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA).
The product’s dimension is 22 x 22 x 58.5 inches and weighs about 165 pounds. It has a BTU of 36000, making it one of the most efficient tank-type gas water heaters in the market. The heater has internal microprocessor inside it for optimum sensing and accurate heating response.
GCR-40 also uses Dynaclean diffuser dip tube. It helps to limes and sediment buildup inside the tank. The blue diamond glass coating provides resistance to corrosion, making this model the most durable one.
- LED display option.
- No need for external power. This heater uses self-powered electronic gas valve.
- 6 years of warranty
- Some users criticized its burner plate.
2. Bradford White 40 Gallon Natural Gas Water Heater
If you are in need of a 40 gallon water heater, Bradford white should be on top of your choice. It is a great brand and the model is very suitable for homeowners. It is 60.5″ Tall and 20″ round and relatively cheaper. Let’s look at its characteristics first.
This model uses ICON system – an intelligent gas controlling technology with a built-in piezo igniter. You don’t need external electricity to operate it, as it uses thermopile to covert heat energy to electric energy.
Bradford White 40 gallon gas water heater has the most advanced temperature control system. Its microprocessor constantly control and monitor the burner operation so that you get the most accurate water temperature.
This amazing gas water heater is really safe to use. It features Advanced ScreenLok Technology Flame Arrestor Design – a smart technology that prevents the flammable component from igniting. It also has a resettable thermal switch, which can be used in case you have flammable vapor inside the combustion chamber.
It also features Hydrojet Total Performance System. It’s a factory-installed technology which prevents sediment build-up in the tank. It also speeds up the delivery time of hot water.
- Smart and safe gas water heater
- If you want to remove the gas valve, there is no need to drain the tank
- Totally maintenance free
- Not suitable for medium to large households.
Best 50 Gallon Gas Water Heater
If you are looking for a 50 gallon water heater, you should consider the option discussed below
3. A.O. Smith GPVL-50 ProMax Power Vent Gas Water Heater
A.O Smith has several water heaters with different gallon size option, ranging from 40-75 gallons. The model we are going to discuss here is their ProMax Power Vent gas water heater (GPVL-50). This model is energy star approved and environment friendly.
This model is labeled as “energy star” with an energy factor of 0.72. The heater weighs about 213 pounds and has a BTU Input Range of 20,000 – 50,000.
ProMax Power Vent Gas Water Heater uses an impressive technology called “Dynaclean II system”. It can optimize the water pressure inside the tank, thus making sure that water is heated efficiently. It also provides protection against sediment buildup and corrosion inside the tank.
The electronic gas control system lets you control the temperature accurately. You can monitor the operation status of the heater using LED control light display.
GPVL-50 Power Vent uses hot-surface igniter rather than rather than standing pilot. It is more reliable, but most importantly – it reduces energy consumption.
As the name says, its venting type is Power Vent. It means that the heater uses a blower to exhaust gases. GPVL-50 uses an exclusive 3-position rotatable blower. Therefore, it gives you more options to choose where you want the heater to be installed.
- Highly energy efficient. Every feature of the heater contributes to operating cost.
- Easy and flexible installation system. Can be installed almost anywhere.
- Great for residential use.
- It is relatively expensive.
Best Gas Water Heater 75 Gallon
75 gallon water heaters are for those houses which require a lot of water.
4. 75 gal. Residential Gas Water Heater, NG
This is a powerful gas water heater by Rheem. They did some amazing stuff with this model. Its model number is PRO+G75-76N RH. This is a 75 gallon gas water heater, which means that it’s suitable for larger houses.
This spectacular model has 75,100 Btu per hour. It runs on natural gas. It has a product dimension of 27.7 x 32.6 x 66.2 inches and weighs about 263 pounds.
This gas heater has a standard venting type. Its ignition type is Piezo igniter and has a ½ inch gas connection.
The heater can heat water at a range of 80-160 degree F. with a maximum pressure of 150psi, this water heater works at a recovery rate of 72.8 gallons per hour. Moreover, it features low NOx burner, so it is eco-friendly as well.
- Standard water heater. Can be used for a long time
- Low emission
- 8 years of warranty
- UEF(Uniform energy factor) is only 0.61.
Best 100 Gallon Gas Water Heater
100 gallons water heaters are basically for commercial purposes. Because of their larger size, they can be quite expensive. Here we discussed two of the best products Rheem brought in the market.
5. Rheem G100-80 Natural Gas Universal Commercial Water Heater
This model weighs about 540 pounds and has a capacity of 100 gallon. Commercial heaters are difficult to install, but this one isn’t.
G100-80 has a universal tank and space saver design. They use patented multi-flue design for this heater’s tank which ensures maximum corrosion resistance and superior heat exchange efficiency.
Its low profile automatic flue damper minimizes overall product height, making it more flexible to install anywhere.
As for energy efficiency, it provides 75000 BTU. This heater runs on natural gas and has a recovery rate of 388 GPH @ 90F.
- Easy installation
- Best suited for commercial application
- Safe for operation
- Warranty is not up to the mark. Only 3 years for tank and 1 year for parts.
6. Rheem G100-200 Natural Gas Universal Commercial Water Heater
This is also a 100 gallon natural gas water heater of Rheem. This one is pretty much the same as the one discussed above, only more efficient. G100-200 is also a commercial water heater. This model’s dimension is 30.2 x 30.2 x 66.1 inches and weighs about 780 pounds.
G100-200 can achieve 80% thermal efficiency with 199,900 BTU. It can reach temperature level up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
It has a universal space saver design as well which provides great installation flexibility. It also features LED Diagnostic System. It makes monitoring the heater much easier.
G100-200 model features numerous technologies such as patented multi-flue design, proprietary steel formulation and Spark-to-Pilot Ignition System.
- Greater installation flexibility.
- Corrosion resistant (features patented anode rods)
- Low profile automatic flue damper.
- Only 3 years of warranty for tanks and 1 year for parts.
How Does a Gas Water Heater Work?
Gas water heaters can be either tank-type or tankless water heaters (Also known as geyser). Whichever your heater is, the basic principles are same – the water is heated using a gas burner and a heat exchanger.
For a tankless gas water heater, there is a sensor which detects the water flow. When you open the water tap, the gas burner automatically turns on and heats the flowing water with the help of heat exchanger.
A tank-type gas water heater works simply by heating water and storing it in a tank. The heater runs the burner until water temperature rises to its desired point.
Gas VS Electric Water Heater [Pros & Cons]
Both gas and electric water heaters are popular in the market right now. The choice of buying either one solely depends on the customer’s needs. To help you understand better, we have listed some pros and cons of the Gas vs. Electric water heaters.
Features to Consider before Purchase [Buyer’s Guide]
Here is a list of factors for you to choose a gas water heater more easily:
- Your total household demand – you need to be correct about it as much as possible. Because you don’t want to wind up buying a gas heater that falls short to meet your demand.
- Your installation place – Since most gas water heaters are tank type, it is better if you fix a place for installing the heater beforehand.
- Safety features – Always try to make sure your heater is certified by authorities before making the purchase.
- Look for an energy efficient one – gas water heaters are economically inexpensive in the long run. It has been possible only for their lower operating costs. Therefore, you should try to purchase one which is efficient in terms of gas consumption and recovery rate. A heater with lower gas consumption and higher recovery rate will save you tons of money.
Wrapping it up
In order to find the best gas water heater, you should make head-to-head comparison among the heaters to have a better understanding. Not all water heaters are suitable for you; you need to surf through the products to find the right one.
With that being said, it’s vital to know about different water heater and keep yourself up-to-date with the market.
So what do you think about these gas water heaters? Let us know in the comment section below!